This is a follow up on my previous post 'Distributed Version Control Systems on Windows' where I just want to note that I've made some progress with Mercurial by using Python 2.6 instead of 2.5.2.
The good thing is that Python 2.6 uses MSVS 2008, which I do have available. So with that, I can use setuptools to compile python libs. Including Mercurial!
Compiling and install Mercurial into my Python 2.6 64-bit installation was dead easy, by the books all the way! Yay!
That will probably help with running buildbot/mercurial/trac on a pure windows-based server (as in no cygwin). But I'm considering using a linux box for this anyway, since it's smoother and more easy to add misc minor stuff to. (Not disregarding setting up ssh-accounts for mercurial users, which is what I've done currently.)
I'm currently using it to try to assist the Mercurial situation on BuildBot, which is lacking a bit, especially when it comes to in-repo branches. There are patches on the buildbot trac, but they haven't been applied and the crucial one won't be added until it gets a proper test-case.
So, I'm working on that. There's some issue with line-endings preventing try-patches to apply cleanly in the tests. (It works in real life, as I did use the try-functionality at my last job. Never got it ready for every developer though...)